Tech, Bitcoin, Investment, programming, Gaming and Network Analysis Discussion Platform and Idea Sharing...

Tuesday 23 April 2019

(New York City) Moving out of a building with a broken elevator is impossible.

Hello Legal Advice! I live in a 40-story high rise in Manhattan, New York. I am leaving the building to move to a different state, and have hired movers to assist me. I live on a higher floor and when I moved in, I used the service elevator to move larger pieces of furniture into the unit (such as couch, bedframe).

The building's service elevator has been out of operation for a number of weeks, and I am concerned it will be not functional on my move date. Without the elevator, I will be unable to remove the furniture from the building, and my lease expires two days after the set move date.

My questions are these:

(1) Can the landlord penalize me from my deposit for failure to move out furniture if that failure is a result of a broken elevator they have not fixed?

(2) Is the landlord under any obligation to cover the cost of either replacement furniture or an additional set of movers?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.



Written By: MeVersusShark
Source: http://bit.ly/2Zrgcye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Reads