Tech, Bitcoin, Investment, programming, Gaming and Network Analysis Discussion Platform and Idea Sharing...

Friday 19 April 2019

Private school withholding medication from me [NY]

I’m not entirely sure if that is the correct tag, but it seems to be the closest fit.

I am 18 years old and attending a private boarding school in New York (I’m from NC). Here there are grades 8-12. I take medication for my anxiety disorder every morning and have been for the past several months.

Our insurance requires that we file medication with CVS. Since this school has none nearby, we get it refilled with a CVS back in North Carolina and my parents ship it to me.

From there, I am not allowed to take it myself. It is given to the school nurse, and even then, a different nurse has to come in and distribute it in individual daily packets for a weekly supply. Every morning I meet the nurse, and she gives me the dosage. (Those who take them at night have to retrieve them from their dorm parent/teacher supervisor)

Yesterday I should have received a package in the mail from FedEx two-day shipping of a refill, but the company lost it. This morning I took my last dose. About an hour ago the refill finally arrived at the school business office.

The nurse left this morning, and the staff worker at the business office has no legal authority to give me the package. Administration has been unresponsive to this issue so far. No nurse will be here until Monday.

I now have to go two days without medication. The legal issue apparently comes in with keeping pills in my dorm room with other students, which I understand is an issue. But I do not believe it is unreasonable, or should be illegal, to take two pills with me. I could ask administration here to hold onto it and go to them these next two mornings.

I cannot find any information online regarding laws about this. Do I have any recourse I can take? This seems to be a joint issue with the school and the state. I may be fine not taking two doses so long as I don’t have an attack. When I go some time without taking it (i.e. taking it later in the day, and back when I took it at night, when I first started) I feel light-headed, there is a weird pulsing sensation throughout my body, and I feel unfocused. I am concerned if this were to happen to anyone else and highly necessary medication was being withheld from them.

I am planning on discussing this with a higher-up here at the school, but I am curious if there is anything in particular I should bring up regarding this law.



Written By: ParsnipDistrict
Source: http://bit.ly/2VWSmbt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Reads