Tech, Bitcoin, Investment, programming, Gaming and Network Analysis Discussion Platform and Idea Sharing...

Monday 1 April 2019

(VA) Employer making me use ALL my vacay time to make up for Jury Duty

So, I have been summoned for federal grand jury duty (lucky me) for the entire year. I have to report to court 3 days a month, every month for a whole year (36 days for the entire year). I work for a small inc. company, with about 12 other employees. My boss just told me that I have to use all my vacation time towards Jury Duty, and after my hours are all used up, I would have to work it out with them to make up those hours (weekends, evenings, holidays) for the 40 hour work week.

I told them to not pay me while I go to Jury Duty (I have plans to visit my family at the end of the year in another country and I would like a vacation) but they made the point that it is not fair to the other employees because that would mean that I would be out the 36 days for jury duty plus my vacation. They told me that option is not possible.

I showed them this law: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter10/section18.2-465.1/

But they think it doesn't apply in this situation because I am doing FEDERAL grand jury, not VA jury duty. And since their business is very small they don't think it applies to them?

I am very confused, but are they allowed to do this? What can I do? I would prefer not to get paid and keep my vacation hours. Just because I am not working for them those 3 days, doesn't mean I am not working.

Help.



Written By: supercalisomething
Source: https://ift.tt/2TJbAPW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Reads