Tech, Bitcoin, Investment, programming, Gaming and Network Analysis Discussion Platform and Idea Sharing...

Tuesday 23 April 2019

[VA] I changed the wifi password because my roommate doesn't pay for it. Does this make me legally vulnerable?

My roommate and I have been arguing about what exactly she pays for. I mistakenly agreed, when she moved in, to pay for all the utilities (gas, water, electricity) and she would only pay rent.

I was under the impression that she knew she was not paying for any utilities. She would pay $440 of the $855 rent, and I would pay $415 and cover all utilities. She told me that her rent is based on her room size (it isn't) and that her $440 payment covers her rent and half utilities. I pay $600+ a month in rent and utilities, including internet.

After this argument, I was talking to my SO and my family about how she thinks she pays for things when she doesn't. They asked what bills I paid, and I said that I paid all utilities which was gas, electricity, water, and internet. They told me to change the wifi password because internet is a luxury not a utility.

So I did. I changed it at 1 am, thinking she was going to bed soon (as I was, and we generally sleep at the same time). But, within minutes, she's knocking on my door, calling, and texting me for the new password, saying she needed wifi because she was working on a deadline. I caved in and gave it to her.

The next day, I sent her a text in the morning stating that I would be changing the password when I got home that night, and if she wanted it, she would have to pay half, which was $35. So I changed it again.

Today, I was talking to someone about the situation and they told me I could be in legal trouble. They said because she was living there for a certain number of months with these living conditions (having free WiFi) that she could expect to those conditions to continue and that I changed it without proper notice.

My question is: Am I legally in the right to change the password when I want? I pay for it, only my name is on that bill. Or, if I want it changed, do I need to give her the password and then give proper notice? What is the proper notice requirements?

I would just like to do it right. Thank you.



Written By: colunga
Source: http://bit.ly/2GvsY6h

2 comments:

  1. It is actually a great and helpful piece of information. as we provide white label identity theft at affordable prices. for more info visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for publishing such great information. You are doing such a great job. This information is very helpful for everyone. Keep it up. Thanks. Read more info about forex rebates

    ReplyDelete

Most Reads